, ,

Wow – where does the time go? After feeding, changing, pumping, sleeping, etc., there just doesn’t seem to be any real time to sit down and write! But, thankfully, I was finally able to write down my birth story. While this recount may not be the most eloquent, I’m glad I was able to write it while the labor is still fresh in my mind. Warning – some aspects may be TMI!

My induction was scheduled for 10:00 AM on Wednesday, October 24, 2012. I wasn’t able to eat or drink anything after midnight. I don’t believe I slept but a couple hours the night before as I was so anxious and just overwhelmed with emotion. Eric and I took one last picture before leaving and said goodbye to Sherbert, our kitty. As we pulled out of the driveway, I was struck that the next time we came home, I would be a mother. Even now, that is hard to wrap my head around but the feeling is so fulfilling.

Hubby and I right before we left for the hospital.

Upon arrival at the hospital, we filled out some forms and waited for quite a bit. I couldn’t imagine what I would have felt like if I had actually been in labor as I was already so anxious. We were put in a room and I stripped down into a dreaded hospital gown. My parents came in the room and visited for a bit and then left while the nurse came in and asked a lot of questions.

My nurse, Maggie, hooked me up to an external monitor. All the vital signs looked good. She also put my IV needle in but did not hook it up to any fluids/medicines. Of course, Eric had to look away as he hates needles, blood, or anything medical related! Needless to say, we’ve had an experience before where he fainted once when I was at the doctor…

My OB came in around noon and broke my water. I must admit, I was a little taken aback by how fast he was able to do that. Talk about a huge rush of warm liquid! I was around 2 centimeters dilated at this point. He then hooked me up to internal monitors to check the baby’s heartbeat and my contractions. I continued to feel liquid just ooze out of me. (TMI?)

I was hooked up to Pitocin and the IV fluids around 1:10 PM. I began feeling very slight contractions. They were much like all the Braxton Hicks contractions that I had been experiencing for weeks before.

Hubby and my mom stayed in the room with me and we watched The Food Network on TV. I was SO hungry! Eventually, we changed the channel to HGTV (my fav) as Hubby didn’t want to torture me. I can’t say that I was really watching the TV, though.

Lying in bed – so uncomfortable!

I was very uncomfortable lying in the bed due to a lot of lower back pain. I hate lying on my back! I had hoped that I would be able to move around during my labor but with all my monitors, I was unable to do so. I tried to move around and adjust myself as best I could and eventually moved to a rocking chair in my room for a bit around 3:00 PM. My contractions were starting to come with more of a pattern and sitting up definitely helped me!

When I went to the bathroom (with Hubby’s help), my internal baby heartbeat wire stopped working so they hooked me up to an external baby heartbeat monitor. I guess moving around knocked the wire off. So, my contractions were monitored internally and the baby’s heartbeat was monitored externally. Needless to say, there were wires coming from all over the place!

At 6:00 PM, I was around 4-5 centimeters dilated. My contractions were definitely starting to do something finally!

At 7:00 PM, the nurses changed shifts and we were given Carol. Hubby again helped me to the bathroom. I so wished that I could remain standing up as my lower back was really beginning to hurt. At this point, I found myself going into what I can only call a “zen” mode. I just kept my eyes closed and focused on breathing deeply and slowly. I began having hot flashes after each contraction and was very thankful that we thought to bring a small portable fan. Both my mother and hubby took turns rubbing my feet and back and playing with my hair.

My “zen” mode.

At 9:00 PM, I was measuring 6.5-7 centimeters dilated and was VERY uncomfortable. So, I decided to sit up “Indian style” in the bed. I found this position to be the most comfortable for me as I was able to remained focused. I remember hearing my mom and hubby conversing and I occasionally chimed in, but I mostly just remained quiet and focused. I found I preferred to sit quietly by myself. I kept thinking each contraction was one contraction less to deal with. I will admit, though, a few very strong contractions really made me lose focus – a very scary feeling!

At 10:50 PM, I measured 9 centimeters dilated and I was so incredibly grateful to hear that I was almost there. I remained in my “zen” mode. The feeling was truly an almost out-of-body experience. After a bit of time, every couple contractions, I started feeling pressure and felt my body involuntarily start “pushing”. At this point, all I could mutter was a whispered “push”. Nevertheless, hubby called the nurse right away.

At 11:45 PM, I started pushing. The nurse walked in the door and immediately told me to lay back and that I was going to push on my very next contraction. These nurses definitely didn’t wait around! I remember thinking in the back of my mind that I hoped my husband was doing well. Like I said, he is so squeamish about anything medical. But, he and my mom stood by my side. I kept my eyes closed for the vast majority of the pushing. I remember asking for water a few times in between pushes as my mouth was incredibly dry. After about 30 minutes of pushing, he was delivered and immediately placed on my chest.

Holding the baby for the first time.

The feeling of seeing my baby for the first time was incredible. I truly cannot believe that he came out of me! I’m so blessed that my delivery went smoothly and that Lyndon is doing so well. I’m also so proud that my husband was able to be there throughout the entire birth and that he cut the umbilical cord. He said that in the moment, all the craziness just didn’t affect him.

I cannot be more grateful that I didn’t tear or require an episiotomy. Afterwards, I had an extreme case of the “shakes” which the nurse said was a natural reaction. My legs felt like jello and they shook uncontrollably for quite a while afterwards.

So, sweet little Lyndon was born Thursday, October 25,2012 at 12:17 AM. He weighed 7 pounds, 11.3 ounces and was 20.5 inches tall. His first Apgar score was an 8 and his second score was a 9.

Having my mother and my husband with me was a huge blessing. I will admit that I was unsure if I wanted my mom in the room the entire time but she was a huge help and continues to be so since she’s staying with us off and on.

Lastly, I’m grateful to be able to share my experience with y’all. For all my fellow pregnant or new mommy bloggers, a huge high-five goes out to you! This has been quite a ride! And, just for fun, check out my before and after photo!