It’s time for my bi-weekly pregnancy update. I’m officially in my third trimester – woo woo!
Looking back on my second trimester, the first thing I’m struck with is – Where has all the time gone? I’d be lying if I said I don’t feel the pressure of that ever-ticking countdown to motherhood. Perhaps I’d feel calmer if there wasn’t still so much left to do. Alas, I try to keep telling myself that everything will work out in the end.
I’ve accumulated pretty much all of my 14 pound gain during my second trimester. I must admit that gaining any weight back after losing so much, even if it’s for a good reason, has me fretting at times. But, I lost it once and I can do it again! Most of my symptoms during the second trimester have been totally fine. I am grateful that my pregnancy has been pretty easy so far. One of the more annoying/painful symptoms are the crazy leg/foot cramps (or Charlie horses) that attack in the middle of the night. Other than that, I’ve had a lot of dull lower back pain and occasional boob discomfort when bending over in the mornings.
One of the coolest things about my second trimester is feeling the increased movement of the baby and seeing my belly almost look like an ocean with all his rolling and jabbing around in there. I will say that it probably took until about Week 26 or so for my baby bump to truly be noticeable to others. I must admit I was self-conscious because I personally felt that I looked like I had a big gut and was even beginning to wonder if I ever would look pregnant. Thankfully, even though it may not be that big, I finally feel like my baby bump is on display.
Back to that ticking clock… the thought of finally being able to hold my baby in my arms is an overwhelming feeling – an unknown emotion that almost brings me to tears with its intensity. I wish I could describe that emotion. Maybe it’s a combination of relief, pure happiness, and perhaps a little fear? I feel like there’s so much I don’t know yet about parenting. Will I be a good mother? Will my baby be provided for? Will I know what to do/say when the time comes? I don’t have the answers for those questions but I do find relief in knowing that every parent had to start somewhere. And, I can’t wait to get to my somewhere!
So, shall we recap Week 28?
- Total weight gain: 14-15 pounds.
- How big is the baby: Eggplant – still? I think The Bump’s website is off…
- Sex: B-b-boy!
- Maternity Clothes: Yep, two maternity t-shirts and I finally found a cute maxi dress from Target!
- Sleep: I won’t complain but these Charlie horses need to just go somewhere.
- Best moment of the past two weeks: Hmm, probably just getting a few days to relax. I find I’m needing those days more and more.
- Movement: I think I may be feeling the slight vibrations of the baby hiccupping but otherwise, it’s still a dance party in there and I love it!
- Food Cravings: Cold orange juice.
- Baby Bump: Yes! People are finally commenting that they can see my bump. I can definitely see a change and even have some new white (thankfully) stretch marks. *Crosses fingers that rubbing lotion on my belly nightly will pay off in the end.*
- What I miss: Just being able to get up and go without feeling like a I need a few moments to adjust.
- What I am looking forward to: Our 3D/4D ultrasound is this Saturday and my mom’s coming. I cannot wait to see our little boy again!